NATIONAL NEW PLAY NETWORK (NNPN) IS THE COUNTRY'S ALLIANCE OF NONPROFIT THEATERS THAT CHAMPIONS THE DEVELOPMENT, PRODUCTION, AND CONTINUED LIFE OF NEW PLAYS. FOUNDED IN 1998, NNPN CONTINUES TO REVOLUTIONIZE THE NEW PLAY LANDSCAPE THROUGH THE STRENGTH OF ITS MEMBER THEATERS’ COLLABORATIVE EFFORTS, AND ITS NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED PROGRAMS AND SERVICES FOR ARTISTS AND ORGANIZATIONS.
NNPN boasts a diverse roster of Member Theaters through its two-tiered membership structure: Core Members, the governing network of theaters with annual budgets over $150,000 and missions that affirm a dedication to new works; and Associate Members, companies that produce or develop at least one new work per year and demonstrate a commitment to NNPN’s values.
NNPN is agile at its core and broad in its reach. As a robust collection of theaters working together across the nation, NNPN champions the indispensable nature of collaboration between theaters and theater-makers, and the vitality and cultural importance of new plays and living playwrights.
Over the past twenty years, NNPN has provided millions of dollars in funding to its Member Theaters, supported hundreds of productions nationwide through its innovative programming, helped launch and sustain the careers of thousands of artists, and reached hundreds of thousands of audience members around the world with plays that were created and honed with support from NNPN and its diverse consortium of theaters and artists.
The National New Play Network is the country’s alliance of non-profit theaters that champions the development, production and continued life of new plays.
The National New Play Network strives to pioneer, implement and disseminate ideas and programs that revolutionize the way theaters collaborate to support new plays.
NEW PLAYS are vital to the cultural health of our communities and our nation.
- We believe new plays belong at the center of our institutions.
- We believe that the continued life of new plays of merit is essential to the health of the American theater and the communities it serves.
- We believe that the cultivation of an informed, passionate and supportive audience for new work is crucial to the art form’s future.
PLAYWRIGHTS who speak with unique, essential & influential voices deserve to be championed.
- We believe that playwrights belong at the center of the developmental process.
- We believe that a transparent process between playwright and institution leads to fruitful collaboration.
- We believe that playwrights deserve to be valued in ways appropriate to their essential cultural position.
DIVERSITY across all definitions, throughout our Network and its members, strengthens us & the field.
- We believe that our Network’s strength lies in its theaters’ diversity: institutional, geographic, and aesthetic.
- We believe that the new-play field’s strength lies in its creative diversity: diversity of voice, diversity of process, and diversity of audience.
COLLABORATION at all levels and amongst all parties is indispensable to the creation of new plays.
- We believe that camaraderie and cooperation – as opposed to territorialism and competition – strengthens our theaters and the field.
- We believe that the exchange of new work and ideas leads to innovation and progress in both institutions and artists.
- We believe that deep connections between theaters and their audiences contribute to healthy communities.